+31 6 50 61 33 30 |
Restrictions in response to coronavirus (COVID-19) Entry to Austria
Restrictions in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Foreign travel advice


ImportantCoronavirus (COVID-19) travel

Follow current COVID-19 rules where you live: EnglandScotlandWales and Northern Ireland.

To prevent new COVID variants from entering the UK, you should not travel to amber or red list countries.

To understand the risks in a country follow FCDO Travel Advice.

When you return, follow the rules to enter the UK from abroad (except from Ireland).

Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

If you are travelling to Austria for work, read the guidance on visas and permits as the rules have changed since 1 January 2021.

Restrictions in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Entry to Austria

Entry to Austria from the United Kingdom is currently prohibited by Austrian law. Austria has issued a landing ban for direct flights from the UK to Austria from 1 June to 20 June 2021.

The following people are excluded from the entry ban and may enter Austria whilst adhering to the conditions set out below:

  • Residents of Austria

  • Austrian citizens, EU/EEA citizens, Swiss citizens and people who live with them in the same household

  • people with residence or habitual abode in EU/EEA countries or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican or Switzerland and people who live with them in the same household

  • holders of a visa D issued by Austria

  • people who are entitled to stay in Austria, on the basis of a residence permit or residence title, including those with a confirmation of having applied for a residence permit under Article 50 (TEU)

  • members of the staff of diplomatic missions or consular posts and people who live with them in the same household

  • employees of international organisations (e.g. the UN) and people who live with them in the same household

  • people who are employed by a domestic regional authority or a domestic public corporation and whose place of employment is abroad or whose service is carried out abroad, provided that the activity of this corporation abroad is in the interest of the Republic of Austria

  • people who enter Austria for work purposes

  • people who enter Austria to begin or continue studying or doing research

  • people who enter to attend school

People permitted to enter must:

  • fill out the Pre Travel Clearance form

  • have a PCR test done not more than 72 hours before departure (an antigen test is not sufficient) and carry proof of the negative test result with them. Residents of Austria as well as Austrian and EU or EEA citizens are permitted to provide proof of a negative test result up to 24 hours after arrival. In this case the person must quarantine until the negative test result is obtained.

  • quarantine for 10 days, with the option of ending quarantine early with another negative PCR test taken no earlier than on day 5 of quarantine. The day of entry counts as day 0.

The following people are exempt from the quarantine requirement (but must present a negative PCR test and fill out the pre-travel clearance form):

  • people entering Austria for the purpose of visiting an international organisation based in Austria (eg. United Nations, OSCE)

  • people holding a Legitimationskarte (i.e. diplomats and their dependents)

  • persons entering for unforeseen urgent family matters (e.g. severe illnesses, death, funerals, births, emergency support for vulnerable people – documentary proof can be required such as a death certificate or hospital letter).

Further details on exemptions (including those for transit passengers, cross-border commuters, and persons who facilitate the transport of goods and passengers) are available (in English) from the Austrian Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection

Transit Austria

If you are transiting through Austria without a stopover, you do not need a medical certificate or Pre-Travel Clearance form if you can prove you are transiting.

Neighbouring countries may be restricting movement across borders, including for transit, and conducting health checks. Check the travel advice for any country you need to travel through.

Regular entry requirements


The rules for travelling or working in European countries changed on 1 January 2021:

  • you can to travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training

  • if you are travelling to Austria and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days

  • to stay longer, to work or study, for business or for other reasons, you will need to meet the Austrian government’s entry requirements. Check with the Austrian Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit you may need

  • if you stay in Austria with a visa or permit, this does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit

Any time you spent in Austria or other Schengen countries before 1 January 2021 does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

At Austrian border control, you may need to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. You may also need to:

  • show a return or onward ticket

  • show you have enough money for your stay

There are separate requirements for those who are resident in Austria. If you are resident in Austria, you should carry proof of residence as well as your valid passport when you travel. For further information on these requirements, see our Living in Austria guide.

Passport validity

Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip, and renew your passport if you do not have enough time left on it.

You must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland).

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

Travelling with children

If you are a single parent, or travelling with a child who is not your own, you will need documentary evidence of parental responsibility and a letter of consent. For further information on exactly what will be required at immigration contact the Austrian Embassy in London.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Austria.